Most all watercolor artists love salt, the textures it adds to our paintings is beautiful yet unpredictable.
- Try different sizes of salt, including rock salt, margarita salt, and course salt (my favorite).
- Wet your paper with clear water first and let it soak in before applying your paint.
- Be patient #1 – wait for the paint to settle and your paper to get a nice sheen on top.
- Be patient #2 – After sprinkling on your salt, wait for it to do it’s magic.
- Try salting around a subject.
- Try salting the subject.
- Try salt with staining and non staining paints.